What guitar rig do they use: U.K. Subs

In sixth episode (but first in english) of “What guitar rig do they use?” my guest is Jet from English punk band U.K. Subs. He told me about his actually rig, his guitar inspirations and a weird situation which happened on one of festivals in Czech Republic.


It’s almost 10 years since you joined U.K. Subs. How does it feel to play with such a legendary band?

Jet - Yes exactly 10 years this August. It’s been great experience since joined the band. We have been gigging all over the place and recorded 3 albums so far with this line-up. The main reason I moved from Japan to London was to play music. So I am happy what we do now.
 
Is it hard to prepare to play songs from 25 albums?
 
Jet - I’ve been asked this question a few times in the past, but it’s not actually that difficult to choose what songs to play. We try to mix from the first album to the new album “Yellow Leader”. It works fine with us and people seem to like the current set!
 
What guitar rig are you actually using when you play with UK Subs?
 
Jet - My current set up is Gibson Les Paul Junior (Cherry 1987) and Gibson Les Paul Junior (TV Yellow 1993). I use Bare Knuckle Pickups BKP-92 in TV Yellow and Bare Knuckle Pickups Supermassive 90 in Cherry. Both guitars are heavily modified exactly the same way, re-fretted with Dunlop 6105’s, Bare Knuckle Pickups custom CTS pots and Tone capacitors inside. Also copper shielded both pickup and control cavities and re-wired with Evidence Audio IGL hook up wire.
 


My amp is Blackstar Series One 104EL34 head through mid-late 70’s Marshall cab. The speakers are changed to Celestion Vintage 30’s, currently re-wiring with Evidence Audio Siren cable inside. By the time for the next UK tour in April, it should be ready. I use Evidence Audio Lyric HG guitar cables, The Siren speaker cable and The Source power cable. They make great cables!
 
I don’t use any pedals on stage, if you count it, just a stage tuner. I use amp’s select switch only for rhythm and lead. But I use several pedals and other guitars in the studio depends on songs. For stage I like to use Les Paul Juniors only. I just love the sound of P90’s.
 
Do you remember your first guitar? What it was?
 
Jet - Yes of course. My first guitar was Yamaha Strat copy. It was black. Bought it when I was 15. I actually had this guitar until 10-15 years ago back in Japan.
 
What is the best and the worst guitar rig which you ever played?
 
Jet - The best rig is always own rig. I know how it works. I got dodgy amps a few times in the past. It always happens at festivals when I can’t take my own amp. This happened once in the UK when I connected the guitar, only 2 speakers were working! The other time was in Czech Republic, a medium sized festival, all I found on the stage was a tiny combo amp! I just had to laugh!! These days I bring the Blackstar HT-Dual pedal with me when I can’t take my amp.
 
Do you have any guitar idols which inspires your style?
 
Jet - Right now, I don’t actually have any guitar idols. But my guitar style definitely came from the New York Dolls, Heartbreakers and Dead Boys etc., then got slightly more modern sound. I would say those bands were my main musical influence.
 
I know that you are good friend of Olga from The Toy Dolls – in my opinion he's one of the best guitarist in punk rock music. What do you think about his style?
 
Jet - Olga is an amazing guitarist and a great guy. I know why he is so good – he practices every day! He uses his signature yellow Telecaster through JCM 800. His sound is quite clean. When he hits the chords, a magic happens. No one else can play or sounds like him. He is the real deal!
 
What do you think, what is the most important in punk rock – lyrics or music?
 
Jet - As a guitar player, I generally listen to music more than lyrics. But lyrics are definitely important. Personally, if managed to put great music + nice lyrics + memorable melodies = killer song.

1 komentarz: